Day 34


Date: June 18, 2011
Time: 12:47am (CST)
Playing on iTunes: "Heysátan" by Sigur Rós

Attention! New addition to the blog^^ As you see above, the Playing on iTunes component is now a YouTube link to the song I'm listening to. So if you want to hear what I'm listening to, just click the song title.








Location: Rockwall, TX
Recent Trip: 571 miles









MAN was that a long bus ride. Luckily I was asleep for a good amount of it. We had a food stop after about 3 hours, then another bathroom stop after 3 more hours, then was in the long haul for the last few hours. BUT as I said, they got us floor time. Two hours at that. Again, for some reason the two hours of floor time felt like 12...I have no clue why.


We arrive at Rockwall high school at 7am and 90 degrees. Hot, hot, hot. Wasn’t sure I was going to be able to handle it but I knew I’d be fine. People live here, I should be able to survive, right? After the floor time, we had to walk about 20 minutes to the stadium we were rehearsing in since we the buses were being serviced all day. 
I had a feeling the high schools here were going to be nice, but I had no clue they were going to be extraordinary. The high school had its own cafe in it for crying out loud! The local stadium that we rehearsed in was enormous. Much larger than most college stadiums I see in Massachusetts. 
Today we received our Odaiko drums. If you have read my previous blog about the taikos, this drum you see pictured below is a 26” Odaiko. Rebecca is the lucky lady that gets to play this huge instrument. It sounds really cool now that we have all of our ethnic instruments.
I cannot describe to you how beautiful the sky was today. Aside from the 40 mile per hour wind all day and the 100 degree weather, the skies were beautiful. During ensemble I glanced up at the press box on top the stands and just combed the skies and could not see one cloud around at all. By sunset the sky was a perfect backdrop of blue faded to orange on one side and faded to purple on the other side. It was almost too real and almost looked fake. There’s north east Texas for ya! To compliment the beautiful sky, the moon was a bright orange and full. The picture to the right is not a very good representation since it was far away and there was a light in my way, but you can sort of see the small circle of a moon.



Since we have our first show tomorrow, we needed to do a run through tonight “show style”. That meant, loading the pit onto the gator and trailer, unloading, and setting up quickly in the time allotted. The rest of the corps needed to march on and set up what they needed on the field and then get in their first set of the show. The run through from the pit stand point went fairly well. Not our best but definitely had it’s moments. I can tell it’s going to be a great show and will put the crowd on their feet. I cannot wait to show the world what we’ve been working on tomorrow night. It’s going to be a great feeling performing for the first time as a Cadet. Here we go!



Thought of the Day: “Life always turns out. It may not turn out the way you want it...but life always turns out. It’s ultimately your decision.” -George Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment